ACHAN IN THE CAMP
EVANG. NIMOTA KELANI
SCRIPTURE: Joshua Chapter 7:1-25
chapter 6 we saw how the Lord delivered
Immediately, we got to chapter 7 verse1 the story changed and the bible said “But the children of Israel committed a trespass in the accursed thing: for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took of the accursed thing: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against the children of Israel.”
This morning we
are going to look at a story of one man in the bible called Achan. Achan took the accursed things; accursed
things are the devoted things, things that are dedicated to God. He took the sacred things and the anger of
God rose against the children of
Joshua and the
Israelites with confidence in the Lord to delivered to the utmost, sent spies
to Ai. The spies returned with good news
that Ai would be an easy target, because there weren’t many men there. They were so sure of their reports that they
said it would only take a few armies to conquer Ai. With the good news Joshua did not consult
with God on the strategies they need to use to win the battle confronting them
buts sent 3,000 men to overtake Ai. The moment the army arrived at the city,
they were surprised to find out that they were overmatched, they turned back
and fled. The bible said there were
about three thousand men that went up; but they were routed by men of Ai who
killed about thirty-six of them. Brethren, notice that since the Exodus until
the time of war with Ai, the children of
Joshua immediately forgot about
dignity. He forgot about normal church
prayer; he tore his cloth and fell on his facedown to the ground before the
God gave them a straight forward answer that He would no longer be with them unless they destroy the accursed from among them. Through the wisdom of God Achan’s sin eventually found him out. What he was hiding and thought no one would know came out to the open. Achan’s stupid action cost him his life and the life of his entire family. What a wasted life. The bible says he that covereth is sin shall not prosper but he that confeseth and forsaketh them shall obtain mercy. Achan and his family did not prosper but perish because he concealed his sin.
WHY WAS ACHAN SIN SO GRIEVIOUS?
1. He took the dedicated things that belongs to God
2. He disobeyed God’s direct command
3. He was living a doubled live, he was a hypocrite
4. His desire was for personal gain.
5. He did not trust God for his provision but relied on his own way of making provision
for himself and his family.
6. He believed his sin could be concealed so that no one would find out what he had
one in secret.
7. He had a spirit of rebellion which later manifested in his life.
8. Many men died because of his sin
9. Fear came upon the army of the Israelites
10. Joshua was put in a position of questioning God
11. God immediately withdrew his protection from them
12. Achan’s generation would be lost as a result of his sin
We can trace the root of Achan's sin to pride of the heart, greediness, and lack of faith in God.
LESSON TO LEARN FROM ACHAN’S SIN:
1. DISOBEDIENCE IS A SIN: Achan was disobedient to God. He intentionally disobeyed God’s direct command. Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft; and he paid with his own life and the life of his family. You may wonder why his family had to pay his sin. The whole family is considered as one in the ancient world and since he is the head of his family the entire family is affected by his family. If he had prospered the whole family would prosper but unfortunately it was the other way round.
Many today do the same with adultery. God gave a clearly command not to commit adultery, yet a great number of people do still do it. The scary thing is the so called born again Christian. When you asked they tell you is the devil and the flesh pressure them. For many people they believe they can get away with it. They believe God wants to withhold something good from them.
You can say no I will never commit adultery but how about your tithe? Are you a faithful thither? Do you steal what belongs to God by not paying your tithe regularly or not paying it at all? Your own disobedience may not be directly in the way Achan did.
However, if you are disobeying God by not forgiving those who hurt you so are also an Achan in the camp. If you are the one constantly finding fault in your pastors. You are the only one that knows how to talk your pastor is not good you are an Achan in the camp.
2. COVETEOUSNESS: “For the iniquity of his covetousness was I wroth, and smote him: I hid me, and was wroth, and he went on frowardly in the way of his heart Isaiah 57:17.” Achan was a very greedy man, wanted what God said he should not have. Anyone in this category is doom for destruction. (Other scriptures are Ephesians 5:5; Col. 3:5; Heb. 13:5)
3. PRIDE: he
believed his way was better than God's way.
Pride make a man think he is the only one that is good or better. A person with pride wants to do things their
own way. They get upset with little
instruction that does not follow what they want. Many have left the
4. Unbelief and Fear: Fear of how he would provide for himself and his family came upon he—he did not believe in the power of God to bless him and his family in the future. He wanted to keep those things in case God failed to provide. He forgot that seeking the kingdom first and his righteousness is the only thing that can guarantee that every other thing he needed would be added unto him.
For as long as we tolerate and cherish sin in the church, God will just be looking and He would withhold power to excel from such church. There will be not spiritual success in such church. They will be loosing battle every where and they will flea in fear from their enemies. The same thing is for individual who harbor sin in their life. Such a life will become a battle field for Satan and his army. God told Joshua in verse two that "Neither will I be with you any more, except ye destroy the accursed from among you". Except we destroy the accursed things in our life in our heart and in our church we cannot see God.
This morning, I want you to stand on your feet and go before the Lord. Ask him for forgiveness of sin. Ask him to forgive you of any form of pride, covetousness, and unbelief that you have ever exhibited in your heart and your life. Ask him to destroy their roots from your life. Ask God to fill you with fresh fire from above.
1. Every root of pride in my life, dry up in the name of Jesus.
2. You my life reject the spirit of covetousness in the name of Jesus.
3. O Lord, my father, help my unbelief in the name of Jesus.
4. Every Achan in the camp of my life; die in the name of Jesus.
5. Every invitation to rebellion, roast in Jesus’ name.
6. Any spirit of the world beckoning to me be bound in Jesus’ name.
7. Any part of me thirsting for friendship with the world, receive divine deliverance in
8. I reject the activities of the spirit of hypocrisy in Jesus’ name.
9. I refuse to give the accuser of the brethren any legal ground in my life.
10. Every destructive habit, designed to waste my life die in the name of Jesus.
11. Holy Ghost, fire destroy all works of darkness in my life in Jesus’ name.
12. Deliver me, O Lord from the grip of spiritual weakness and negligence in Jesus’
13. Father Lord, uphold me with your right hand of righteousness in Jesus’ name.
14. Thank God for all answered prayers.